Thursday, July 24, 2008

Susannah's Garden by Debbie Macomber

I actually just finished reading this book last night. I was a little unsure if I was going to enjoy reading Susannah's Garden when I began the first chapter. I had thought about setting it aside for another time, but I decided to read a few more chapters to give it a chance. Obviously it won, because I couldn't put the book down. If you've read the book Back on Blossom Street you will already know Susannah Nelson. In Susannah's Garden you get to know Susannah a little more personally. You learn about her background and her family. I would almost recommend reading Susannah's Garden before reading Back on Blossom Street. But that's just a personal opinion.
The story pretty much revolves around the path not taken. For most us we get to sit around and wonder about that path we didn't take, and play the "what if" game until it drives us crazy. Susannah actually gets to explore the path she didn't get to take several years ago and learns a lot about her family as well as herself. There is also a valuable lesson in the book, we can't always take things as they seem. We need to open our minds to other perspectives. Susannah finds new perspectives and starts to see the other point of view when she visits her hometown to take care of her mother.
The first part of the book is pretty straight forward and fairly interesting. Once you hit the middle of the book things really start to get very interesting and a mystery or two pop up. It becomes harder and harder to put the book down. I had several theories in mind while reading the book. The ending however, was a pretty big surprise! I highly recommend this book to everyone! Once again, Debbie Macomber has done an excellent job!

No comments: